This morning... get to school to find out that the teacher I co-teach with had called in sick. Kept my fingers crossed for a few hours that she'd decide to come in tonight for parent info night/open house anyway. Went on with my day despite the underlying panic slowly creeping up.
Lunch time... in walks team leader. "Well, Kristen... looks like you're on your own tonight..." FULL-BLOWN panic mode, my friends. I had 20+ parents coming in less than 5 hours and no time to prepare! I had to see kids all afternoon and we had a team planning meeting after school until the parents arrived! I ate lunch in my office because I was on the verge of tears. I was too overwhelmed to function.
After school... team planning. A ton of new information about lesson planning is piled onto my plate. **Insert more stress here** Am I going to survive this day??

15 minutes until parent arrival... race to the bathroom to change clothes. Teammate emails me a powerpoint she's using, but of course there's a TON of information to change because we have totally different types of classrooms. Quickly print and copy handouts... and back in the room with 1 minute to spare. I feel like I might vomit.
The next 2 hours is kind of a blur. I talked to lots of parents, gave my little presentation, and deferred a lot of questions to parent conferences (so I could have time to think with a clear head). My principal walked in at least 3 times that I noticed... so either I have a meeting coming my way about how horrible I did or I score a few brownie points for pulling some sort of presentation together at the last minute. Please hope for the latter.
Is it Friday yet???
Way to go Love! I think Open House is stressful enough and I at least get 3 weeks of school first to figure out what the heck I am doing in general. Props to you for pulling it all together last minute! I'm sure you did great!
ReplyDeletewow! 2 hours...that's crazy!! i'm with kerri and so proud that you were able to do that. there's no way i could have! we have the 3rd graders come to our classroom for about 15 mins and then all of the parents and my team talks to everyone for another 30 mins with a powerpoint.
ReplyDeleteI totally remember that stress of the first year of teaching and just being thrown into situations like that. You have a pretty cool demeanor and I will bet that you pulled it off and did great!
ReplyDelete