Sunday, August 23, 2009

Here we go...

Well... tomorrow's the big day! I know that I've technically already had my first day of work, but tomorrow we will actually have kiddos! Enrollment has topped 400 already - talk about madness! I don't think I've ever seen that many preschoolers at one time! Granted, they do come in two different 'shifts' but still!

Last Friday we had "meet the teacher." I met a lot of the kids that will be in my class, however, most of the ones that showed up were the ones that aren't on my caseload, so tomorrow will be fun! It was nice to put faces with names - reading files of kids doesn't mean a whole lot until you get to meet them! I have to say... it definitely caught me off-guard anytime someone introduced me as the Speech Pathologist!

I know that this is going to be an extremely challenging, yet rewarding, job and I really want these first few weeks to go by quickly so that I can start to feel more confident and comfortable. We'll find out pretty quickly if those 6 years of school paid off! Luckily I have an AMAZING team that is more than willing to help me out with anything. Since I'm the only new person on my team, I have plenty of resources. The team leader is also the lead SLP for the school, the teacher I'm co-teaching with is the General Ed team leader, and the Special Ed team leader is also on my team (I will supposedly be co-teaching with her also later on in the year... she doesn't have a class yet). Talk about an amazing wealth of information! Not to mention that my mentor/CFY supervisor has been an SLP for 25 years!

I'm excited about everything I'm going to learn and the difference I'm (hopefully) going to make in the lives of these precious little ones! Cross your fingers that I get a decent night's sleep tonight, because 5 days of school with kiddos that have never been in school before is going to be quite an experience!!

2 comments:

  1. We have 600 kids coming tomorrow! Crazy! Most of my kiddos didn't come on Friday either! Tomorrow is the big day! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to read about your first day!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete