As you know, I'm training for a Half Marathon that'll be on May 1st. I honestly didn't think I'd be that great at sticking to my training plan, however, so far I've been spot on! I haven't missed a single run! Thanks to planning ahead, I've been able to rearrange my weekday runs as necessary to avoid any schedule conflicts.
I've been tracking my runs in a spreadsheet so that I can keep track of my mileage, as well as see how my pace changes over time. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a fast runner and that's perfectly fine with me. To me, it's more important to achieve the [ever-increasing] distances than to run myself down and have to stop early. Plus, if you ask me, spending more time running to achieve the distance just increases my endurance.
It's a little embarrassing to show y'all just how slow I really am, but here's what the past 5 weeks of training look like for me:
This chart doesn't have my cross-training or strength days on it (speaking of which, I really need to start holding myself accountable on those days... I've been slacking).
Look at my mileage this week: 21 miles! Not too shabby.
Also, if you look at my average pace over the weeks, you can see that my pace is slowly increasing, without me consciously trying. Remember, my goal for my first Half is to FINISH... I don't have any kind of time goal (at this point). Honestly, no matter how long it takes me to finish, it will still be a personal record. How awesome is that?!

Kristen those are not bad times!! You will be shocked at how many people you will beat with that time. Not that you're being competitive, but you will be surprised how middle-of-the-pack you really are! In a good way!
ReplyDeleteAlso- one of my favorite quotes from when I started running:
"Once I decided I couldn't go any faster, I decided to see if I could go further."
Thanks, Carrie! That makes me feel much better! I'd like to be consistently at a 10min/mile, but the distance matters more. :)
ReplyDeleteLove that quote!
Way to go Kristen! You're doing great! I think you are way too hard on yourself about your times. You've seen a lot of improvement in only 5 weeks! What race are you training for??
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lauren! :) I'm training for the Oklahoma City Memorial Half on May 1.
ReplyDelete