Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pain in the... back!

This morning at work one of my kiddos was climbing on a shelf. Since he decided he didn't want to listen to me when I told him to get down, I lifted him off and turned to place him on the ground when all of a sudden a sharp pain shot from my lower back all the way down my left leg so intensely that it took my breath away! It was the EXACT same feeling I experienced in Spain when my back went out on me. I somehow managed to make it through the remaining 30 minutes of the class and by the time my lunch break came around I couldn't handle it anymore. I went down to see what my principal thought I should do and IMMEDIATELY broke down in tears from the pain. Every step sent a shooting pain through my back. The nurse said I needed to call risk management and get to a doctor immediately... so that's what I did.

CareNow was the closest place that dealt with Workers Comp so I headed there. He made me do all kinds of movements that made me feel like I was going to die on the spot, took some x-rays (no fractures!), and came to the conclusion that it's *hopefully* just a lumbar strain with muscle spasms. He suggested a shot in the butt for some immediate pain management. The nurse comes in with the shot and tells me to climb up onto the table and lay on my stomach. UMMMM.... DO WE REMEMBER MY BACK IS IN SEVERE PAIN?! I was sent on my way with prescriptions for several pain killers (Vicodin!) and muscle relaxers, restrictions on activity (no lifting more than 10lbs, turning, twisting, bending, squatting, etc), and instructions to return in a week for a follow-up.

I headed back to work to see what my principal wanted me to do and she said that since the restrictions placed on me don't allow me to complete my job requirements, I'm not allowed to return to work until the doctor clears the restrictions. THAT'S A WHOLE WEEK! Normally I'd be excited about a week off of work but not when I have to use my OWN sick days. Ergggg!

I'm laid up on the couch for the next week... praying that I start feeling better sooner and can get the doctor to clear the restrictions. If not, the next steps are getting an MRI and/or getting a steroid shot in my back! Please pray for quick healing... I'm miserable!

1 comment:

  1. ugh. So sorry, Love! I hope it starts feeling better very soon :(

    ReplyDelete