Monday, January 17, 2011

Stuffed Peppers

Here's a recipe I made for DELICIOUS Stuffed Bell Peppers.




I kind of "winged it" and made it up as I went, so measurements are approximate.


Ingredients:

  • 1C Quinoa
  • 2C chicken broth
  • 1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 1t EVOO
  • 1T minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
  • 3/4 cup salsa
  • grated cheese (I used reduced fat cheddar)
  • 4 bell peppers, top and seeds removed
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Rinse quinoa and prepare it according to package directions. I substituted chicken broth for water to add flavor.
  3. While quinoa is cooking, add EVOO, garlic and onions to a skillet and cook until tender.
  4. When all chicken broth has evaporated from quinoa, add onion mixture, tomatoes, salsa, and mushrooms to quinoa and heat over low heat for 1-2 minutes, until warm.
  5. Add a sprinkle (1/4 C?) of cheese to quinoa mixture, stir, and stuff into peppers.
  6. Place peppers on a cookie sheet and cook for approximately 10-15 minutes until peppers are tender.
  7. Add a sprinkle of cheese to the top of each pepper and let melt in oven.
If you want to prepare this recipe exactly as I did, follow these important tips:
  • Use a strainer which has too large of holes, and allow quinoa to come pouring out all over your counter and sink.
  • Find appropriate-sized strainer and try again.
  • Use a large onion and end up with more chopped onion than any recipe should ever call for. (Don't worry, I didn't add it all.)
  • Make a huge mess of all countertops and stove surface.
  • Dirty as many dishes as humanly possible.
Hey, I never said I was a professional... but I PROMISE they taste good!

I only stuffed one pepper today, for an individual serving, and I plan on eating the rest of the filling over the course of the week on top of salads, as a side dish and maybe even stuffed in a pepper :) Let me know if you try it or have any suggestions to make it better (is that even possible?!)!

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious!! I might give that a try. I love new recipe ideas!

    ReplyDelete