Sunday, February 27, 2011

Vegetable Overload!

Not really, though... I could eat veggies ALL day long, and I practically do.

I had picked up a spaghetti squash at the store last weekend (at the same time I grabbed parsnips)... so I knew I wanted to make it this weekend. Well, actually, the plan was to make it some time during this past week, but I was way more into instant satisfaction this week.

I cut my spaghetti squash in half, placed it face-down on a baking sheet, poked some holes in it for ventilation (?) and popped it in a 400* oven for 45 minutes.


After getting that into the oven, I washed/prepped my carrots and parsnips so that I could make this recipe from Ina Garten. The chopped veggies went on a tray, coated with olive oil, salt, and pepper. The recipe said to cook for 20-40 minutes so I popped them in the oven when there was around 35 minutes left on the spaghetti squash, hoping they'd be done around the same time. I sort of forgot to check on them so they were a little more cooked than I'd normally roast veggies, but they were still good! Next time maybe 25-30 minutes.


I topped my spaghetti squash with a quick sauce that I prepared: salsa bulked up with chopped mushrooms, garlic and yellow and green squash that I sauteed quickly on the stove. Yes, I'm aware that I topped my squash with more squash... but it's been sitting in my freezer forever and I wanted to use some of it. I plated everything up, sprinkling my roasted veggies with dill just before serving.


Everything was absolutely DELICIOUS! The parsnips were very similar in taste and texture to a carrot, however that I'd say parsnips have a slight bit more sweetness than carrots. They are definitely something I'd roast up again! And I LOOOOVED the dill on the veggies. It's definitely an under-used spice in my spice cabinet and I really need to use it more! It reminds me of childhood, when my mom would take us to Adams Farms when we lived in New York. We ALWAYS got dill dip... yummy!

Isn't it weird how some tastes can carry such powerful memories... and transport you instantly back to childhood?!

No comments:

Post a Comment